Thursday, September 26, 2013

Evernote Vs. Springpad

(very appropriate image via this website also comparing the two )

So, for this entry I will compare the two applications. To be honest, I've worked more with Evernote in the past few weeks than I have Springpad. I've only briefly fooled with Springpad, but I am finding it really useful just as Evernote. So far, I like them both, and I'm using them both - but for entirely different purposes. While they essentially do the same job (allow you to organize an array of things into a "notebook" electronically), I use them for different things. You'll see I have screenshot made a few collages. What can I say? Collages are kinda my thing. (click to enlarge any of the pictures) So...I'll start with Evernote...

I've been using Evernote lately as a homework helper and a reference page. Really I like to think of it as bookmarking things along the web that I like and using that to help me or to pass along. The guest blog for instance, I just clipped that off my blog and sent it to my guest blogger - better than typing it a second time. Evernote makes it much easier to get information from a website - just install an extension into Google Chrome and you don't have to write, type, or highlight specifics and it's always there! Much of the items in my notebooks I use for research papers. I can get the exact information I need without having to access the website every single time. I can just log in to Evernote and it's always there, not changing. Another thing I really like about Evernote are its accompanied products (circled in the bottom picture). Skitch makes showing things on a picture much simpler than having to type out detailed instructions. Again, this makes things easier on the user: to look at themselves or even to show to someone else. Now, I'll talk a little about what I like on Springpad... 


Most noticeably of the things I LOVE about Springpad is its organization. There are many different types of notes to make to put into your notebook. In the upper left picture I have made a store checklist, the upper right an event, and the picture below that is a book I intend to read. Much more than just making a note, you can classify what kind of note. Because I make so many different kinds of notes all the time, I really like this feature. I really like how the search interface is on Springpad. While on Evernote, I browse the web and clip from there: I feel as though I can start on Springpad and search for things there. Not saying you can't search on Evernote, but again, I like the organization of Springpad: it gives categories for your query. Maybe I'm just an OCD nerd, but..yeah..me likes.
Now, I haven't really worked with this but I was searching on both Evernote and Springpad and found that some services that are only for "Premium" users on Evernote are actually free on Springpad. Evernote lists that the quality will improve with a Premium account, I mean of course, they're trying to make money. They also list some features you will gain with Premium membership. As mentioned in class, one of these features is the ability to collaborate on Notes...


Why would someone pay for a service they could get for free on another? 

So, it would seem I am leaning a little toward Springpad. Just as I posted not long ago, I'm still getting used to Evernote. Perhaps I haven't found out all of its tricks yet! I will continue to use it in the way that I have listed, but as far as making an organized list of thoughts, I would choose Springpad.



Categories: ,

0 comments: