Monday, November 4, 2013

Facebook, Myspace, Google+ Comparisons

I'll just go ahead and tell you all, the only social media I really use these days are Twitter and Instagram. I'm not much for managing a whole page, even this blog is a bit much for me. But for this post I will compare Facebook, Myspace, and Google+.

Now, I used to have Facebook....3 years ago. I got really tired of it for some reason and left it idle fr the longest time. Then someone hacked into it so I just deleted it because I didn't want to deal with it anymore. I'm probably one of the like 10% of the population that doesn't have it, but ya know..oh well. I'm not going to sign back up, because I won't maintain the page. But I have gone to the home page (not the dashboard or timeline) to see some things have changed.


I don't remember the graph search and don't really know if it's relevant to be honest. 

I will say, when I had a Facebook page, that was where all my friends were. It's very well known and for that gives a better chance of socialization with people I know because it is so easy to find them with their search, as well as celebrities or maybe anyone else that I'd want to add. The site has so many languages for all its users and allows for people all around the world to communicate.

Also, I know that the site is much more than just a social media page.You can play games, find a job, learn about music or news and so much more. You can go to Facebook and not leave it for hours. That's something that annoyed me about Facebook though...


Facebook became a platform for games. Old people stay on there and invite people all day long like it's there job. Once you block invites for one game, another one would pop up. A lot of the people I know only get on Facebook for the games, so that's annoying.

I used to have Myspace as well, but my account was also deleted on there. I went back to find this: 


The interface change is so dramatic! I would definitely rather have the old one than deal with this updated version. You scroll to the right instead of down and that's so impossibly stupid I can't even deal. 



I don't really know how to edit my profile. The timeline is really strange. Messages continue to show up as new notifications even after you check them. (Notice Allyson Brewer harassing me in those messages) I just do not like it. 

So I started to search for any of my friends with no luck in finding anyone that still had Myspace. So, instead I looked for the band I've been really into lately...


Let me note that I hate the search features. And also, I hate all the columns, there is no information under the pictures, but still I found it. Myspace is really designed toward artists these days. I find no reason to keep an account or even deal with it since it's so hard to mess with. I'll stick to simple Twitter, thank you.


I have a Google+ account, as shown on my blog, but I don't frequently use the site. I find it to be pretty similar to what I remember about Facebook when I think about sharing capabilities. You can post statuses, share news stories, or refer items. I saw a small detail I liked when sharing a photo (of me and my boyfriend if you're curious).


You can edit the picture. More than just rotating, but you can also crop and enhance the photo. Just something I find useful.

Compared to Myspace, where I didn't know what I was doing, how to find something, or how to get back to a page once I got to another, Google+ has really nice, easy navigation. There are options along the top and the left to get you to what you want to see and once you click something the "Home" button is always visible to get you back.

A notable feature is Google Hangouts. They are seen on the right and allow you to talk to many people at once. You can also start a video party at any time, something I haven't seen on other social media sites.


Oh, there are no ads clouding the page like Facebook. A nice refreshment.

So overall, I'd pick Google+ as my preferred social media. It's just sad it doesn't have quite as many users as Facebook. And I don't even consider Myspace in the running because it sucks so bad, let's be honest. 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very informative. things I never really paid attention too.

Unknown said...

Very informative. Things I never really paid attention too.