Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Photo Sharing

For this blog, I will review image hosting websites. To make this just a bit more personal, I will use some pictures of the pets in my life. Might as well, right?

Photobucket: Okay, first off - don't report me for animal cruelty or something. This is my dog, Dodger, on Independence Day from this year. What can I say, he's all-American. But on to reviewing..if you can scroll over the picture and see my username *sigh*...you can probably tell I've been using Photobucket for awhile, like we're talking Myspace days. I've always loved that it gave an HTML code to place pictures within a website. It lets you have multiple albums and you can make these private or public (which allows people to like them similar to Facebook). There are a lot of sharing options and it allows you to edit the pictures to resize or even fix the quality of them.  You can also search through the website for pictures you're looking for. I use it to find patterns to put in layouts for instance. I'm a fan for life.

image_5
Flickr: Here we have Snowball. Snowball is my house cat, who I hate in all of his fat glory, and who I also hold responsible for my hatred of ALL cats. Flickr though, I really like how it is connected to Yahoo. It's rare these days for me to find something that is directly connected with Yahoo in this Google world (see my Google is King of the World blog). It is also connected to Facebook, and if I had Facebook, I would find this very helpful in sharing edited photos. The website gives you a terabyte of space, very good for me. Something else I noticed is that though you upload it and it shows that date, but it also shows when it was taken and from what device. Which if you ever needed to know that, is very useful of the site.

Dropbox: Okay, here is the picture I originally wanted to share from Dropbox. These are my brother's dogs. A German Shepherd who was named Spartacus (he has recently passed away and I will tell you he lived up to his epic name, he was quite the epic dog) and a Boxer named Mira (which if you have watched the show Spartacus, is his wife...teehee my brother's a nerd) Anyway, here my rant begins. I hated downloading Dropbox, I didn't get how to use it/play around with it, and frankly I don't need storage that much to mess with it. I get it, yeah, it allows you to access photos within a folder that is on your computer on any website (or the app if you so choose to put up with the crap), and you can share folders and files with anyone but I just didn't like it from the start. I'd rather use a web based image hoster if using one at all. But, being that I needed to upload a picture to complete this review on all the image hosters...I pursued...and this (first picture below) happened. Over and over and over and over after I kept trying to fix it.


But I guess a cool thing about screenshotting this error was I found out that Dropbox with save screentshots. And I totally would have just uploaded that, ya know if I could figure the friggin' thing out. *end rant*


After many failed attempts and many keys torn off of my laptop in frustration...I uninstalled the program. Granted I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, so try it at your own risk.


ImageShack: Meet my sister's Chinese Sharpei Ace who, as my dad pointed out resembles Alf. He doesn't snack on cats though, but if he did that would be totally fine with me (hatred of cats, remember?). I remember a time where you didn't have to sign up for ImageShack and I miss that time. I miss a simple just upload and not having to sign in to get any features. But I guess it's reasonable. The site is pretty simple and easy to figure out. WHICH WAS SO BLISSFUL AFTER DROPBOX LEMME TELL YA! Hmmm...it was so simple there's really nothing more to say about it. It will host your pictures easily and without much stress.



Along with Photobucket, ImageShack would probably be the only other option for my photo sharing on the web.

1 comments:

Reluctant Squible said...

You probably shouldn't hate on your cat man. That's kinda mean lol.